Andographis 500 ml Herbal Liquid
- Andrographis appears to have a very low toxicity risk.
- The lack of controlled studies over a significant time period means that interactions and contraindications are theoretical rather than evidential: Avoid prescribing in pregnancy and lactation as safety parameters are unknown.
- Avoid prescription for patients with known Acanthacea plant family allergies.
- Because andrographis appears to have antiplatelet and anticoagulation activity, it is best avoided for patients taking antiplatelet or anticoagulation drugs.
- Andrographis may theoretically interact beneficially with hepatotoxic drugs due to its hepatoprotective effects.
- Use with caution for patients taking immunosuppressant therapies as andrographis appears to stimulate immunity.
- Andrographis may potentiate the effects of barbituates, hypoglycaemic agents and drugs metabolised by the cytochrome P450 system – prescribe with care.